Tuesday, July 7, 2009

at it again

First things first - I got a bunch of new music this weekend and the "Dark Was the Night" compilation is my new favorite album. I've never liked Sufjan Stevens but his cover of "You Are the Blood" is simply epic. The piano solo half-way in packs half of the punch but I still can't get over how much I respect this song. The Bon Iver, My Brightest Diamond, and Feist/ Ben Gibbard tracks are similarly amazing - overall it's just a great album. Now I can stop listening to the Fleet Foxes 24/7...maybe. I've also been youtube-ing Bela Fleck and the Flecktones at work today and I just might go build a monument to Victor Wooten after I get off. How can any mortal be that talented!? Our answer may lie in his "Amazing Grace". Oh lordie, he could make a believer out of me.

So in my googling today at work, rather my checking my email at work, I saw the headline that D.C. is recognizing gay marriages performed outside the state! Wooo! To see that pass in the nation's capitol is very exciting, especially considering that there is a gay marriage bill for them in the works. As elated as I was, I am saddened to say that some people are already trying to strike it down. Listen here, folks - love does not destroy anyone and your Jesus could tell you that. It seems ironic to read the Bible with the same voice one uses to condemn their brethren. There is no scripture written condemning love between two people - gay or not. I don't understand how taking away rights from gays carries out God's wishes or protects His word. People have suppressed minorities since the beginning of time - one might think of the Egyptians and the Jews. This is not the rant it could be but I just want to publicly state that my faith in humanity and religion is diminished when a religious leader uses her or his power to cut down and takes away freedoms that this country was established to insure, equally, under protection of the law. I will be writing letters.

No comments: